Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Family Hike In Rancho Penasquitos Preserve


The family. We were a strange little band of characters trudging through life sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that bound us all together. ~Erma Bombeck




I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father's protection.
Sigmond Freud




To the outside world we all grow old. But not to brothers and sisters. We know each other as we always were. We know each other's hearts. We share private family jokes. We remember family feuds and secrets, family griefs and joys. We live outside the touch of time. ~Clara Ortega


The strength of a family, like the strength of an army, is in its loyalty to each other. -Mario Puzo
Mwa said...

I love those quotes you chose, and I want to go on a hike like that. Actually, just now I would settle for some weather not necessitating warm coats with hoods.

paperpocket said...

What a wonderful hike. It's one of my fave things to do. Can't wait til I have little ones to take with me. :)

Rebecca said...

I don't know what made my heart sing the loudest....the warm weather as told by the way you all dressed...the wonderful scenery of the nature preserve.....or the amazing quotes.....or the family that this post was the subject of.

Caroline said...

Gorgeous images. Gorgeous quotes. Gorgeous family--all the way around.
I especially like the first picture, seeing everyone walking together. Lola looks so confident and secure, leading the pack with so much love around her.
What a cool family.

p.s. ohmygoodness I am living through you with that awesome weather there! we're still freezing over here!

Alli Easley said...

Fantastic sweet Maggie. I love that you guys are enjoying life. This is what love is! (ps, I borrowed the Freud quote on my blog today)

Darcy said...

i love that walk!!! Dave and I used to take our bike there too when we first moved here to San Diego and lived so close. love love your quotes especially about never growing old in our bros and sisters eyes. so true. that's prolly why we can still fight so easily :-), even in our thirties. lol.

Kate Moore said...

What clearness said ... a great post.

Peach said...

i LOVE the Ortega vote. made me tear up missing my bro and sis...

Drax said...

Beautiful.

Ellen said...

Such a beautiful day you all had! A lovely blue sky with your family you love so dearly...enjoyed the quotes too.

I think one should make every effort to walk in nature...how it clears the mind.

* said...

Beautiful, oh how I miss San Diego, especially the weather, the weather, the weather!

Sarcastic Bastard said...

I'm with Freud and all the rest. Lovely photos!

the real mia said...

What a beautiful family you have. Lucky lady.

Petit fleur said...

I can almost smell the the fresh green air!

Annie said...

Beautiful photos and quotes. My husband and I have fond memories of baby carrier days, and going on hikes with our son.

Anonymous said...

the picture of the boys in the tree looks like a tim burton forest.

i'll definitely have to check this place out.

~Amber Elise~ said...

Beautiful pictures, A beautiful Family and quite appropriate quotes I think :)! It is healing for the spirit to exist in the natural elements for a while I think.

Middle Child said...

This is beautiful. Before digital cameras - I managed to have a collection of 50 photo albums of the 300 photo variety and its like a movie going through them - same as you - there is their dad holding them as if they were the most precious thing on earth which they are...and our two girls heads together looking wickedly back at us - and so many amazing times - you are not just creating good memories -but creating a bond which will affect generations to come in the way your children teach and love theirs and theirs - so important

previous next