Thursday, November 25, 2010

Are You There, God? It's Me, Maggie



... I'd Like To Say, Thank You For My Pack

this is
Lola Moon. she has toes shaped like sea shells. her neck smells like vanilla cupcakes. her armpits stink like little girls on the brink. she made a card for our baby doctor that said ' you made one life new. you made one hart beat. thank you for taking care of my sister. last year my mommy had a miskarrage and so you can see this is relly importent to me. ' every evening as her bath water pours, she sits in the tub and sings until the bath is full.

these are my boys.
Dakota Wolf loves underground rap and has delightful appreciation for a slew of words strung together in a clever way. he debates philosophical ideas with his friends. he makes me laugh, often, and often at myself. he loves his dog like a fairy tale, and his dog would die for him. said dog is a fat golden retriever who lugs his aching hips onto Dakota's bed and sprawls out on top of Dakota's 6 foot frame to settle in for sleep. Dakota treats girls with respect and expresses to me compassion for how hard it is to be a teenage girl. his hair is in soft blonde waves and his eyes are huge and blue and filled with intelligence and heart and depth. Ian Oliver is highly unusually disciplined for a person of any age, much less 14. his brain is like a finely tuned computer that he knows how to program. since he was a little baby I have cared for his bobble head, glasses wearing self. his eyes twinkle. he always looks for an opportunity to be mischevious, but doesn't shy away from hard work. he has both brains and brawn. he's a team player at heart in family life, even when his biological age resists. he is loyal to the bone. Dakota and Ian are a team.

Mr. Curry. it's too much to express in writing at this moment. he is the centre that holds.
Ever. we will meet her and learn her soon. sniff her neck, lick her belly, scruff her gently underneath her chin, stare into her eyes, adding her to the pack. she will be circled round and we will love her with all our hearts for all our lives.

Thank You, life.
Elisabeth said...

You describe your family pack beautifully Maggie. How wonderful to watch it increase in size and joy.

I suspect the entire blogosphere waits in suspense now for Ever's birth - your friends in the blogosphere like an extended family.

I check daily. November is a splendid month for birthdays.

Irish Gumbo said...

Love, unbound.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

Peace,
IG

Rebecca said...

Oh so sweet.

Ms. Moon said...

I love you, Maggie. Happiest of Thanksgivings to you all.

Petit fleur said...

I love you guys! Can't wait for Ever's arrival!! Happy Thanksgiving!
xoxo pf

Drax said...

Hail, yeah.

Andrea said...

Heartwarming. ♥

Annie said...

Beautiful Thank You's! Beautiful Family!

Elizabeth said...

Happy Thanksgiving, dear Maggie.

Elizabeth said...

I think I'm thankful for your pack -- that such a pack exists in this crazy old world is essential --

Love to you and the pack.

Still Life With Coffee said...

beautiful... as always. <3

mosey (kim) said...

I love it when you heap the love on your pack. Happy Thanksgiving...

Unknown said...

Such a beautiful family and what wonderful observations about them all. I'm a little in love with Dakota after watching the video the other day! Thank you. xxx

Anonymous said...

and i say, thank you, maggie! you give me so much strength....

LOVE!

Caroline said...

Amen and beautiful, Maggie. SO much to be thankful for.

Sondra said...

And a Damn fine PACK it is... Warmest wishes to you all.

Laura said...

Happy Thanksgiving Maggie! I can not wait to meet Ever!!!!!

Bethany said...

ah, sweet.
what a fantastic homage.

Middle Child said...

What a beautiful lot you have there - I am sure you realise it but these are the good old days - no matter what happens in your future and may it all be good - it sounds like happiness at your place

Magpie said...

What a sweet tribute to your pack.

previous next